Friday, October 25, 2013

Strawberry Frosting DFSFGF

Looking for some kind of cupcake container for my son to bring to school, led me to the Push-Pop Dessert Maker. Cute, huh? :)

Ingredients

2 large strawberries
1 tsp sucanat (or plain sugar)
1/2 cup earth balance natural buttery spread (soy free), room temp
1/2 cup Spectrum organic vegetable shortening, room temp
1 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract
2 - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar


Directions

Cut each strawberries in to 8 pieces and place in a small bowl. Sprinkle sucanat over the strawberries. Set aside for 5-10 minutes. When most of the sugar has been dissolved, mash or puree the strawberries until there are few to no chunks (unless you like the chunks... then you can leave them) :)

In a large mixing bowl (I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer), combine the buttery spread, the shortening, and the vanilla. I mix it on high until well combined.

Add the mashed strawberries and combine again.  You may need to scrape down the sides of your bowl to help the strawberries combine.

Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mixing completely before adding the next cup.  (I liked the sweetness of 2 cups, but I wanted it a little stiffer so I added an extra 1/2 cup.)

If you need a thinner frosting, add a tsp of water or milk-alternative.

Refrigeration is recommended to maintain best consistency.

No comments: