Saturday, December 27, 2008

Chewy Non-Peanut Butter Brownies

Have you tried SunButter? Oh my word, it's good. At first it tastes like peanut butter, but then you get the sunflower seed in the aftertaste. Yum.

The original recipe is here, but I've altered it to fit our needs. Also, if you don't want to use whole wheat flour, just use a full cup of all-purpose. (I just like to try and sneak some better flour in where I can! {grin})

I could not tell that these were not peanut butter. So moist and tasty. This will easily become a family favorite!


1/2 cup Sunbutter
1/2 cup dairy free margarine, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C ). Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together sun butter and margarine. Gradually blend in the brown sugar, white sugar, applesauce, and vanilla; mix until fluffy. Combine flours, baking powder, and salt; stir into the sun butter mixture until well blended.
  3. Bake for 35 minutes in preheated oven, or until the top springs back when touched. Cool, and cut into squares.

(This recipe is featured on Allergy Sense.)

2 comments:

Juventa said...

These look SO yummy:) I look forward to trying the recipe with my kids! Four out of five of my kids have milk allergies, so we are always enjoying trying new things.

BTW...I just finished writing a book The Milk Allergy Companion & Cookbook. You can read more about it on my website: www.milkallergycompanion.com I also have a milk allergy blog. Let me know if you want to swap links:) Thanks for making the world a safer place for our children with milk allergies!

Maggie said...

We love Sunbutter! My son (and I, though I shouldn't) eat it straight up with a spoon. I keep meaning to make Sunbutter cookies with it but these sound really great. Saving them to try..