Thursday, November 20, 2008

Breakfast Cookies: Dairy-free, Egg-free

Gayle calls these Babysitter Cookies and she's posted them on recipezaar.com. They are fantastic and "healthier" than your basic cookie because you can sneak a few extra things in! :)

Here's the recipe I use:

1/2 cup dairy free margarine or coconut oil
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar or sucanat
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup cereal (we use Lucky charms for the extra colors)
1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips (Kroger brand semisweet are DF)
1/2 cup peanut butter substitute - (both almond butter and sunbutter gave good results, but I prefer Sunbutter)
2 Tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
2 Tablespoons hemp seed (optional)
2 Tablespoons milled flax (optional)

Other optional suggestions she gives, but I have not tried:
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)


Directions

Melt together the margarine (or coconut oil) and shortening. Add sugars and cream thoroughly.

Add applesauce, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, flour, oatmeal, cereal and mix well. Mix in peanut butter substitute and chocolate chips.

Stir in any or all of the optional ingredients.

Drop by rounded Tablespoons onto lightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Makes 3 dozen.


***Just a note: these cookies do NOT turn a golden brown and continue to crisp up after cooking. I have found that I get best results when they are still just a little gooey coming out of the oven and leave them on the cookie sheet to cool for at least 5 minutes. Then I transfer them to a cooling rack.

However, if I do over cook and they are just too crispy to enjoyably eat, they are WONDERFUL broken up into a bowl of milk and eaten like cereal in the morning for breakfast! They are practically oatmeal and cereal after all! :)

We really enjoy these cookies!

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I promise I'm not stalking!

SUNBUTTER!! I'm such a fool! My husband loves that stuff and it never occurred to me that the baby can eat it! Hello? Protein? Thank you so much, again!!