Monday, May 19, 2008

Egg-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake

I was directed to this recipe by The Thrifty Blogger for a cake I would love, so I tried it. The recipe is for two round cakes: in one I completely omitted the egg and in the other I substituted 1/4 cup applesauce for one egg. Both cakes were very tasty, but the one with the applesauce was better in my opinion... VERY MOIST. However, the center of the cake did sink, so I'm thinking 1/4 cup might be too much... but it was so good I didn't really care what it looked like! :)

I coupled the cake with Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting and it was MAGNIFICENT! Everyone raved about it at Witt's birthday party! (The cake shown here was 1/8 of a cake cooked in a mini loaf pan... for Witt's individual birthday cake.)

Thank you, Thrifty Blogger for a great recipe! I think that was the best chocolate cake I've ever made!!!

My adaptation to HERSHEY’S “PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE” Chocolate Cake

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup applesauce (may want to reduce a little for a non-sinking center)
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add applesauce, soy milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

No comments: