Friday, December 7, 2007

Dairy Free Banana Bread

I got this recipe from my Kitchen Addict friend. It's a wonderfully moist banana bread! I substituted applesauce for the vegetable oil to make it a little healthier and it was still moist and tasty (a little on the spongy side texture wise, but still great!) I will make this again and again because I ate the whole loaf myself! :)


Banana Bread by Beth Hensperger

ingredients:

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3 medium to large overripe bananas, slightly mashed

1 1/4 cups AP flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and eggs. Beat hard with a whisk until light colored and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and mashed bananas and beat again until well combined.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Add to the banana-egg mixture and stir to combine. Beat well to make a batter that is evenly combined and creamy in consistency.

Spoon the batter into the loaf pan. Place the pan on a rack in the center of the oven and bake for about 50 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch, the loaves pull away from the sides of the pan, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer loaf to a cooling rack and cool completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 5 days before serving.

18 comments:

Alisa said...

My favorite kind of recipes, just a handful of ingredients! Looks yummy

Katharine said...

Great bread, I have been looking for a dairy free recipe and came across your blog in a google search. My son loves it, he is allergic to milk, peanuts and beef. Thanks, Katharine

Shauna said...

Yum!! You should submit this recipe to the Moist Banana Bread Contest:

http://www.squidoo.com/moist-banana-bread-recipe

Winner gets a $50 gift card to Sur La Table!!

blessings,

Shauna

Blog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I like pickles but banana bread will do. My mom just got her ears pierced. Ouch!

Megan said...

I just made your bread and it's a great recipe. I think it needs about 1/8 tsp of salt. Thanks, Megan

Unknown said...

SO good. I added a bit of cinnamon, a pinch of kosher salt, and a handful of instant oatmeal... thank you!

Leah said...

Made this with coconut oil and agave. Thanks so much for this simple, dairy-free recipe!

Unknown said...

Great recipe! I added lavender, nutmeg and a handful of oats. Thank you for this dairy free treat!

Unknown said...

Great recipe! I added lavender, nutmeg and a handful of oats. Thank you for this dairy free treat!

Unknown said...

Great recipe! I added lavender, nutmeg and a handful of oats. Thank you for this dairy free treat!

Christy of The Travel Bags said...

Trying this RIGHT NOW!

Anonymous said...

I've used this with mostly good results, with slight modification: 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp cinnamon. However, it sometimes seems on the edge of bitter; anyone try baking powder instead of baking soda?

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! Very moist and light with just a handful of ingredients. I added about 1/4 tsp salt to the recipe. My son is allergic to milk and this is a great recipe if you something dairy free. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping this blog up. We recently discovered that my teen daughter is lactose intolerant so it is nice to know that there is a place I can find recipes that are healthy and are OK for her.

Ali said...

I looove this recipe. I'm allergic to dairy and gluten (among other things) and this recipe was soo easy to modify so I could actually eat it and it still tasted good!

I'm planning on posting it with my modifications (giving you credit of course :) ) on my blog this weekend, check it out and tell me what you think?

Shayel said...

I served this for the first time on a holiday and was just hoping it would come out OK. It was PERFECT. Super moist and delicious! Everybody, even those that don't normally like banana bread, wanted more. Definitely going to make again.

Shayel said...

I served this for the first time on a holiday and was just hoping it would come out OK. It was PERFECT. Super moist and delicious! Everybody, even those that don't normally like banana bread, wanted more. Definitely going to make again.